Dimpling the Fuselage - Flush vs. Dimpled

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Dimpling the Fuselage - Flush vs. Dimpled

Post by rlweseman »

From Rick Holland:

Lynn Dingenfeller described a very interesting method of dimpling the cage steel tubing (which worked for him) at the SNF Panther party. Lynn, if you are listening do you want to share that with us?

Rick H

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

From John Steere:
Paul,

I am in the process of deciding between protruding or flush rivets on the forward fuselage. Everything else on my plane will be flush, so for appearance purposes, I prefer to stay with flush.

However, the critical piece of information that I am missing is exactly what tools and what process is used, and without the mating die piece, how do you control the dimple depth for consistent results. I have searched through the BM several times, but find no description or photos of the steel tube dimpling process.

Any input you can provide about the process, and especially depth control would be greatly appreciated.

John Steere
Panther #039

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

From Paul Salter:

The difference between protruding and flush is mainly for looks at the speeds, the Panther flies. The steel tubing is harder to dimple than aluminum. And the dimple is just a depression and not fully formed dimple as in aluminum sheet. Which bothers some people, because the depressions don't really look that great.

Either way is acceptable.

The prototype and mine are flush rivets.

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Dimpling the Fuselage - Flush vs. Dimpled

Post by rlweseman »

From Christopher Braun

Yes, I am replying to everyone just to get feedback. I only need to order the forward fuselage hardware kit. Have the others. While I have used the flush everywhere, there have been a few places (trim tab) where I went with protruding. Is the consensus that dimpling cabin frame is not worth the work? In other words, unless you are building the Hughes Racer, are most normal builders using protruding?