Rudder Trim Tab?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Re: Rudder Trim Tab?

Post by GlenNJ »

Thanks Tony and Bob,

That sounds easier and better than riveting on a trim tab.

Glen

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

It's an Avery part: http://www.averytools.com/searchprods.asp RV guys don't mind paying $15 for a little piece of plastic. Panther builders have the talent to make one from scratch. 1 1/2" wide, 3/8" at the trailing edge, and about 8" long. You can hack one out of a piece of wood in about 2 minutes. Tape it to the appropriate side of the rudder. Go fly at your favorite cruising speed. Shorten tab until ball is in center. A coat of epoxy and a couple coats of rattle can primer, then paint and attach with the double-sided tape Bob told you about.

Tony

GlenNJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Bob,
I looked on Van's web store site, but I couldn't find the wedges you suggested. I used Van's search engine and typed in "Rudder Trim Tab". The only hit I got said: Trim Tab & Rivets
12 Rudder Trim Kit
$7.00
I'm not sure what this is, because there wasn't a picture. Are the wedges on the Van's Air Force site?

Glen

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

Glen, instead of drilling and putting a permanent tab on the rubber. I would suggest that you use a wedge or bend tab on the side of the rudder, ie: vans RV install. Once you get the right size after flying, you then affix it to the rudder via automotive double sided trim tape. Thus no holes in the rudder that leads to cracks in the rudder.

Bob Woolley

GlenNJ

Rudder Trim Tab?

Post by GlenNJ »

This is my first build. Although I think I'm doing a good job so far, the odds of me building a perfectly straight airplane, are not in my favor. Has there been any thought of adding a trim tab to the rudder? I'm almost ready to close the rudder. It seems to me it would be easier to drill, de-bur, dimple and not have to worry about painting issues, if I installed a rudder trim tab now.

Glen