Tailwheel size

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Tailwheel size

Post by Tony Spicer »

at7000ft wrote:I see 4" and 6" tailwheels on the Panther accessories webpage and tailwheel springs (rods) from 3/4" to 5/8". For someone flying their Panther flying 95% of the time off of paved taxiways and runways which is recommended? I understand that the tailwheel rod socket component must be drilled differently for the spring selected.

Thanks

Rick H
Rick,

There's only one rod. It's 3/4" at the big end and 5/8" at the small end. Even those flying off soft sod will have no issues with the 4" wheel. The 6" wheel and yoke is almost two pounds heavier than the 4" unit, and is as far aft as it's possible to get.

Tony

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Got mine drilled and received it last week. Worth every penny. My KR2 is about the same weight as the Panther, and I had the same tail wheel in 4" on it, and it was perfect on grass. Thus, I also chose the 4" wheel.
PantherBuilder.org

av8shar
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Shorter
City or Town: New Bern
State or Province: NC

Post by av8shar »

Rick,

I'm going with the 4" tailwheel for mostly pavement use as well. Don't really want a tailwheel on my sport plane that looks like the one on my Champ.

If you look at the Thanksgiving Panther flight video (wing mounted camera) you will notice that the 4" wheel does quite well in grass, and I think Rachel points out that it is long soggy grass at that.

Not sure if you are asking a question about the tail spring diameter or not, but it is tapered from 3/4 to 5/8. I elected to have them drill mine also, as I think I remember Tony saying it was a bit of a chore.

Andy

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Tailwheel size

Post by at7000ft »

I see 4" and 6" tailwheels on the Panther accessories webpage and tailwheel springs (rods) from 3/4" to 5/8". For someone flying their Panther flying 95% of the time off of paved taxiways and runways which is recommended? I understand that the tailwheel rod socket component must be drilled differently for the spring selected.

Thanks

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z