Wing folding

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Wing folding

Post by Tony Spicer »

Rick,

Without the wing fold option installed, and with two people, the wings can be off the airplane almost as quickly as with the wing fold installed. Pull the main and rear spar pins, slide wing out a foot, disconnect and cap fuel lines and pitot. One person on tip, other on spar and walk the wing off. If you plan to do the recovery solo, don't forget the winch to get the airplane on the trailer.

If you want the option of putting multiple Panthers in a hangar, you'll need the wing fold. If you want to demo the wing fold at a fly-in, you'll need the wing fold.

Tony

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

If you ever have an off field landing and need to trailer back to the airport you will use it, and be very glad you for the option ?;)
Rick Holland
N6819Z

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

If it is convenient for you, would you write what those parts are that can be saved for later? I also do not plan to use the option, but want it available for resale.
PantherBuilder.org

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

I'm fortunate to have a hangar for the Panther. With the exception of the slide plates which are already riveted in, everything else required to fold the wings will get packed away and handed over to the new owner in 10-15 years.

Ten pounds saved will offset the seven pound seat cushions :)

Tony

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Rich
there is no structural limits on fuel amount. Because the fuel is inboard end which is being held by the slide tube the actually weight out at the tip isn't as noticeable as you would think with full fuel. The hardest part about folding the wing is actually pulling outward when it is resting above the HT,with the wing slid forward in the "folded". It is a "upward " angle and at a awkward height for people not as tall as I am ( I'm 6 ft.) this is greatly minimized by keeping the slides lubricated with dry film lube like Teflon liquid wrench or its replacement. We also plan to test a "roller" system to replace the slide plates when we work on the cougar project. We have also experimented with handles that bolt on the wing tip. for people that don't have a wide a reach this will likely be helpful. Also if your pads are made correctly you can slide it our while stand at the frnt of the wing and let the tip slide out in the pad. this is much eaiser for shorter people. Like weve always said we give you the basic fold option , then the builders will figure out how exactly they will use it.... Hope this helps some
Dan
PS My uncle just purchased a kitfox. Its wing fold in cool in that the weight is held by the structure , but it has a bunch of control and fairing connections to remove. In a race I could be him by 10 minutes in a fold and fly demo...
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Wing folding

Post by at7000ft »

Question for anyone that has folded/installed the Panther wings (which may only be Dan W), what is the max fuel level for safe/easy wing folding? Or does it just depend on how strong a back you have?

thanks

rick h
Rick Holland
N6819Z