Parachute

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
wmensink
First Name: Will
Last Name: Mensink
State or Province:

Re: Parachute

Post by wmensink »

HI Chris,
I have never witnessed a bailout. I have witnessed Mav and Goose do an ejection many times that was always a 50/50 outcome :D

Here's a page stating 31 successful bailouts using one brand of chute:
http://www.softieparachutes.com/testimonials.html

I have edited this post and my outlook after reading some of those bailout testimonials. Engine failures w/ unsuitable lz, structural failures, botched recoveries, etc. Many bailout articles in the IAC magazine I tend to recall were more flight control type issues.

I had to sell my last pair of chutes with my plane but intend to get another when I figure out what shape is best for the Panther. Probably not necessary for light gentleman's aerobatics but I do like options and an extra level of safety.

Will Mensink

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

Parachute

Post by Sacpilot »

Howdy,

The regs say that we don't need one for solo, but, I started thinking about parachutes. Taking a built in BRS or Cirrus out of the equation, bc they can be deployed without exit, I think it would be interesting to see the FAA show the history of statistics for one thing....

1. When was the last time that you saw a failed aerobatic or GA aircraft with an occupant who was not in the cockpit post impact? (I.e ejected safely)
The answer will likely be next to never will you see an ejection outside of military. I don't think I have ever heard or seen anyone parachute to safety after jettisoning cockpit in a GA. Perhaps bc amateur pilots try to save/fly the plane, or they panic more than a military pilot bc less egress training in that situation. Or bc the only realistic way to get out is a "charge" that blows the canopy (military) or discharges a chute (BRS)

2. If you lose an engine, as opposed to an airframe failure, are you jumping or staying in the cockpit and flying it down. not sure which has a higher fatality/injury rate (particularly if you haven't jumped out of a plane before)

The FAA definately could develop this statistic quickly.

I think that the bulk of this lack of successful ejections is a result from a lack of training in a panic situation spinning/tumbling at high g's like they do in the military. Or like they do with water ditching as you have seen in the movies where the cockpit vessel tumbles over after hitting water. So, without training in a high g/sudden/panic situation, having a parachute seems to provide a false sense of security.

Thoughts? Anyone ever see anyone eject successfully or separately, eject in an engine failure rather than dead stick? GA, not military.
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052