WOW - What a plane

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
pjeitler
First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Jeitler
City or Town: Cedar Park
State or Province: Texas

Re: WOW - What a plane

Post by pjeitler »

Sean, I will just may have to find a reason to be in the DFW area ;)

Jim, I have scheduled my tail wheel training for 21st. I am using Promark Aviation. They have a Super Cub, not sure if that would fit you.

I like the look of the tail draggers much more than tri-gear.

Any advice on tools needed for the tail kit? I don't have any clecos yet so info on quanties and sizes would be appreciated. Amazon sells them for a pretty good price (I think).

Seansull
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Sullivan
City or Town: Fort Worth
State or Province: TX

Post by Seansull »

Myself and Brian Sowell are building in the Fort Worth area.I'd be happy to show you our progress if you find yourself in the Dfw area.
Sean Sullivan
Based at KFWS
Fort Worth, TX 76110
Panther Builder SN048

Mine & Brian's Panther Builder Site:
https://www.facebook.com/NTXPantherSquadron

Our "Flight Club" page
https://www.facebook.com/FlightClubSpinks?ref=bookmarks

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

I think I read that Dan is going to offer a trigear option. May want to check. However as you have probably heard hundreds of times, real men fly taildraggers.

You guys will love building the kit, the parts are excellent. Am working the tail and spar now, and after having built a plans-built Pietenpol/Corvair for my first aircraft project (which I am flying now) building the Panther is a piece of cake.

rick h
Rick Holland
N6819Z

JimParker256
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Parker
City or Town: Farmersville
State or Province: TX

Post by JimParker256 »

Patrick,

My daughter lives in Cedar Park, so I'm there fairly often. We live in Farmersville (NE of Dallas) and I'm in the same position you are - just about to pull the trigger and order the kit. I currently fly a very nice Rockwell Commander 114, but my wife doesn't really like flying much, and I think the Panther would be a really great airplane to both build and fly for fun. The fact that it can be built as LSA-compliant is just icing on the cake.

My only hangup is trying to figure out how to get the tailwheel endorsement. I'm too big to fit into a Champ, Cub, or Citabira with an instructor, and haven't been able to find anyone with a 170 or 180 that does tailwheel training... But I'll figure out a way to get that done somehow!
Jim Parker
Rans S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Panther / Cougar - someday?

pjeitler
First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Jeitler
City or Town: Cedar Park
State or Province: Texas

WOW - What a plane

Post by pjeitler »

I ran across this website just a couple of days ago and it made me rethink my whole life :D . Just kidding, but it made me rethink my plans for what airplane to build. I am a Sonex plans holder and have started on the AL angles. But the available engine choices kept me second guessing my choice: Aerovee is a bit under powered (in my opinion) and the Jabiru quality issues I have been reading recently have me a bit concerned. Second problem I am facing is that there are no available hangars nearby. All the close airports have long waiting lists. So I started to look at what's available in the folding wing category for trailering and storing at home or in the trailer. Kitfox (too slow and no aerobatics) and the Onex. Good choice but only Aerovee engine and the wings fold up over the top.
As I am searching the web I come across a forum that mentioned the Panther. Looking at some pictures I was awestruck immediately. Beautiful lines, sturdy design and folding wings. Further reading revealed many engine choices, including certified engines. Aerobatic as well and stressed higher than any of my other choices. Must be really expensive to build then? Not at all. How difficult will it be? I found Tony Spicer's online photo album and looked at every single picture. Blind rivets, one of the things I really liked about the Sonex, preformed parts and match hole design. I can build this.

I will be doing a bit more research but fully expect to be placing an order for the tail kit in the very near future. I am located in the Austin area. Anyone else nearby building a Panther?

Patrick
Cedar Park, TX