Green Light from Wife

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Dave_091
First Name: David
Last Name: Schulz
City or Town: Courtenay
State or Province: British Columbia

Re: Green Light from Wife

Post by Dave_091 »

Thanks for the replies! All of it is very informative.

Tony, I had just assumed the aircraft was in the 51% category, not a good assumption for me to make. This will mean a few phone calls to MDRA to see how I will go about this. I hope I don't have to pay to fly Transport Canada inspectors to my house during various phases of construction. That would be very cost prohibitive.

When I come across some news regarding this I will be sure to post it here. I am sure I am not the only Canadian considering building the panther.

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Dave,

Because you're in Canada, you may want to check with your local EAA chapter for the details on what's required when you build a US manufactured kit that's not yet on the FAA 51% list. I recall there being some inspections for which you will be required to pay.

Tony

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Dave,
I'll try to say this without bashing Sonex Inc., because that isn't my intent. If you can't decide between the Onex and Panther, go to one of the events SPA attends, and see the Panther in person. I don't think anything will sell the Panther better, than seeing it, and talking to any of the SPA staff. Walk around the Panther and note how every detail, large and small, has been well thought out. The Panther stands tall on its gear, and won't be mowing grass. The wing fuel tanks were mentioned before. I have nothing against fuselage tanks, but you shouldn't have to worry about spilling fuel on the front windshield (which will cause crazing), because the fuel fill is through the windshield. Sit in the cockpit, and be impressed by the comfort, and roominess. The seat and rudders are easily adjustable. You have a large panel to load with instruments (if that's your intent). There are individual toe brakes. A real flap handle (a lever like a Piper), The control stick is smooth, and you feel almost no friction. All the levers, switches, controls, etc., are well laid out, and within easy reach. It has a truly practical wing fold mechanism. You're not stuck with one engine choice. The fuselage cage was designed for safety. And of course, the Panther wins the beauty contest by a landslide.
Before I found out about the Panther, I was going to build a Onex (I even had a tail kit, I didn't start). I sold the tail kit, and saw the Panther at Sun & Fun, 2014. I quickly realized the Panther was the right choice, and signed up for the full kit. I'm a first time builder, and I'm very pleased with the quality and fit, of all the parts I have received. Following the construction manual, and Tony's web site, I haven't run into any obstacles I couldn't figure out yet.

Glen

Dave_091

Post by Dave_091 »

Dave_091

Post by Dave_091 »

Thank you Andy,

That may have been the post that I have been looking for to help persuade me to go the route of the Panther. To know that I wouldn't be the only first time builder trying to tackle this project gives me some sense of assurance that I will be choosing the right build, one that I will finish and fly for many years to come.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

As far as the Panther fuel tanks, I believe you can buy then complete as you can do with RVs. Just a matter of money.

rh
Rick Holland
N6819Z

av8shar
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Shorter
City or Town: New Bern
State or Province: NC

Post by av8shar »

I always wanted to build an airplane but I figured the time to completion was always too high for me to stay interested. Then companies started offering aircraft built with blind rivets which seemed to make it more feasible. However, the aircraft that were offered using that technique just didn't meet my expectations of looking like an airplane that I would want to own. I was just about to throw in the towel and start building a kit car (because I liked the way they looked for sure) when I saw the Panther on the cover of the "Experimenter" and that changed the game for me.

I saw that article just about one year ago and ordered a kit right after Sun-N-Fun and began building the first of June. Now I have my tail kit complete, my wing kit complete, and expect my fuselage kit to arrive in about a week having no doubts that I will finish and fly this airplane.

I have never built anything beyond aircraft models or random home projects, nor have I ever taken any type of homebuilders workshop, yet I have not had any problems putting this kit together to this point. All of the above in eight months with about six weeks of summer down time as well.

The Panther is, hands down, a great first project for anyone interested in building a good looking, great performing, well thought out kit... that also sounds really good if you put a Corvair flight engine in it.

Just my two cents,
Andy

Dave_091

Post by Dave_091 »

I totally agree with both of your comments.

If you guys are experienced builders, would you be able to tell me how the build between the Onex and the Panther would compare?

I would have to assume the panther is a complicated (when compared to the Onex) build but nowhere near as complex as the RV-3 (if my research proves me right).
I know this is such a difficult question to answer because there are more factors to consider than there are stars in the universe. But when comparing the two aircraft, the Onex and the Panther, how much extra work would there be in the panther?

I know I would have to build my own tanks (not an upgrade I would buy) with the panther. I have read sooooo many horror stories about this that it makes me a bit nervous about tackling them. But, I am sure I would be fine... I think I am fairly meticulous.
There are probably other things to consider that I cant think of off the top of my head right now.

Once again, I am open to all comments and input.

Cheers!

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Yes, and another safety plus with the Panther is fuel in the wings instead of the cockpit. As far as the lower price engines for both the AeroVee price is similar to the cost of a Corvair but 20-30 more HP with the Corvair (Corvair is heavier of course but the Panther is designed to handle the weight and a fair amount more). And as far as looks goes - no comparison.

Congrats on the green light, it will be fun.

rick h
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

Post by Sacpilot »

Panther.....Panther.....Panther......

Fully aerobatic to gross and wider engine choices than Onex, I believe.....Not to mention much bigger cockpit if you are taller, and a steel cage around the cockpit for safety. Won't fold up like an accordion like many experimental aluminum only airframes in a crash.

Someone else back me up here... ;)

CB
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052