Cockpit size

Suggestions and Wish List Discussion Board
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
habickford
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Bickford
State or Province:

Re: Cockpit size

Post by habickford »

I will certainly want to "try it on" as it were as well as see the Panther in finished and flying state.

Harold

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Hi Guys, the Panther has a large cockpit, which will accommodate many sizes and shapes. In the exact configuration of the prototype For shorter people the only issue may be the back of their legs may touch the top of landing gear leg mounts. The rudder pedals can be relocated to several positions and in extreme cases a small "hat section added to floor pan to raise feet a bit. In general I've never flown an aircraft that is capable of fitting such a large range of pilots!Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

I'm 5'4" and long torso-ed and have no problems at all.

habickford
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Bickford
State or Province:

Post by habickford »

At 5'5" and short legs it will be fun to see how the cockpit works.
Harold

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Loren,

The Panther was designed for people up to 6' 5" tall, the seat back can move forward or aft, and it can be reclined. The actual production canopy is going to be slightly higher than the prototype. The prototype canopy was not manufactured quite to the planned design. Based on what you said, I don't believe you would have a problem fitting in. It is about the largest cockpit that I have been in for a light aircraft, and to top it off, the rudder pedals are adjustable too.

Best thing is to check it out at Oshkosh, Sun-n-fun, or other fly-in's that we will be attending. We had many people sit in it at Sun-n-fun, and I don't think there was anyone that didn't fit.

Paul Salter
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Loren
First Name: Loren
Last Name: DeShon
State or Province:

Post by Loren »

I'm very interested in the measurement of seated height.

Although I'm only 6' tall, I was just barely within tolerances for ejection seat aircraft with regard to seated height. (I have short legs and a long torso.)

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Mark,

First, a request please. First name or first and last name. It's one of only two rules on the forum. We're all family here :)

I've worked the Sonex booth at S&F and Oshkosh for years and have helped literally thousands of folks try one on for size. The one thing I've learned is you can't tell by looking just who will fit an who won't. I've seen 6'4" fit just fine, and 5'10" not fit. It all depends on where your hinges are located. With all the adjustments available in the Panther, I'm anxious to see the first person that won't fit.

Tony

CAVU Mark

Cockpit size

Post by CAVU Mark »

Being a tall guy (6'2" I would like to see some photos of different size people in the plane, including headroom, leg and knee room. Thanks.