O-200 and cowl

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Renegade007
First Name: Doc
Last Name: Bailey
City or Town: Deland
State or Province: Florida

Re: O-200 and cowl

Post by Renegade007 »

Just remember there is a new Lycoming Engien IO -233 fuel injected engine as well as now Renegade has an AEIO -233 120 hp 208 lb engine we have now been using for the past two years with tremendous success and its only 30 hp less than the 320 but up to 75 pounds lighter.

doc Bailey

WE have an 0-235 Lycoming with 43 hours on it SMOH for sale complete firewall forward for only 12k right now.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Sacpilot wrote:Hi! Thanks. Any approx ideas on how much this bigger cowl will slow down plane vs corvair cowling? O-200 is already a bit underpowered vs Corvair
Exactly why I am skipping the O-200 and 235 and going for the 320 (and paying a little weight penalty). From everyone I have talked to the 320 is the least expensive of the three to buy used or rebuild (supply and demand). Also since I fly out of a 6800 ft. field I can use the hp.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

Post by Sacpilot »

Hi! Thanks. Any approx ideas on how much this bigger cowl will slow down plane vs corvair cowling? O-200 is already a bit underpowered vs Corvair
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052

av8shar
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Shorter
City or Town: New Bern
State or Province: NC

Post by av8shar »

Cristopher, check out this link for info on the universal cowl… https://flywithspa.com/panther-producti ... encowling/

There are also some other pictures of the new cowl sanded in primer (but not on the a/c), I think I saw the word voluptuous used! No doubt it will be nice with Dan doing the work.

Andy

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

O-200 and cowl

Post by Sacpilot »

Dan,

I have experience with the o-200 and like it as powrplant for Panther. Either basic or souped up. I started thinking about the lines. If the engine is 3-4 inches wider than the corvair, how does that line look with the fuselage? I assume wider cowl is necessary. Do you leave off the shaped parts on either side of prototype cowl?

Any way to see a rough drawing or mockup to see how the wider universal cowl looks on the Pan?
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052