Nervous builder question

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
av8shar
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Shorter
City or Town: New Bern
State or Province: NC

Re: Nervous builder question

Post by av8shar »

If you are a first time builder I would venture to guess that this is THE kit to try. I R&R'd parts as a helicopter crew chief in the Army 30 years ago and have only been a pilot ever since. I have watched others do some building but I've never been to a builders workshop of any kind. This kit is dead easy and I'll bet you can start whipping through it like everyone else is if you just give it a try. I don't think know-how and experience are the critical skills, rather perseverance and a will to succeed (complete the kit like most any kit) are the keys to being successful on this very easy build. And the fact that it is easy, means it goes together fast so you can see the progress (your own progress) and thus remain motivated. It is a closed system where you will motivate yourself by your own progress. That's my philosophical stream of consciousness on the subject, so take it for what it's worth…

Give it a try with the tail kit!

Andy

ynkster
First Name: william
Last Name: mosher
City or Town: greer
State or Province: sc

Post by ynkster »

Don't think that you are the only one that is nervous- we all are that are first time builders. I hadn't even seen a blueprint since 3o years ago. and that was for a concrete foundation! Add 77 years in January, and it's not easy-but- with all the help I am impressed with my ability, and my results so far. All you have to do is think about what you are doing, and if it's not clear ask questions from the guys that have progressed ahead of you in their kits. I know that tony and Dan saved me many times. At some point we all were where you are at- jump aboard, we'll all help, just ask lots of questions.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Steven

My first aircraft build was plans-built. It was a little scary at first wondering if all my welds, glue joints and other things were adequate, but it ended up being the most interesting thing I have ever done, and the most fun (except for flying it, which I am going to do later today). The Panther kit by comparison is a piece of cake, cleco, drill, rivet. And I believe many of the newer components will be matched hole making it even easier and less error prone. The other big factor when building is the availability of online builders forums and builders sites (like Tony's) where questions can be answered, and even better is being able to get questions answered by the designer himself. I have worked with Rachel and Dan before and can tell you the support is excellent. Just do it.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Steven,

Safe to assume you're a first-time builder?

Why not ask those first-time builders currently building a Panther if there's any thing to be nervous about?

I only say that so you won't die while holding your breath waiting on a builder assist program.

Tony

Sammy
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Yampolsky
City or Town: Sharon
State or Province: Massachusetts

Nervous builder question

Post by Sammy »

Do you have any plans to establish a builder assist program? I would be very nervous to try and build all by myself regardless of how simple the build may seem.