Auto Pilot

Avionics and Electronics Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
quesauce
First Name: Roscoe
Last Name: Coltrane
City or Town: Hazzard
State or Province: Georgia

Re: Auto Pilot

Post by quesauce »

RonFranck wrote:New question about auto-pilots. I'm, at this time considering using steam gauges in my Panther as I have a full panel from a donor C-150 sitting on the shelf. What auto-pilot set-up might I consider? I'm looking for heading and altitude hold should I find myself on a long, VFR cross-country flight. Thanks.
The new eco from Trutrak will, I think, do what you want. They aren't out in force yet but theres a very brief write up at http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2015/12/test ... autopilot/.

That said, several of the older Trutrak models (that aren't currently listed on their website) will also do what you need. The digitrak and altrak would give you what you're after. You could likely find them for sale relatively cheap over on vansairforce or maybe avionicslist.

Final note, most (all?) of the standalone autopilots won't have a magnetometer and can't slave to a DG so they won't be tracking heading. They will be tracking a GPS ground track. If you hook them up to an appropriate EFIS then you can track a true heading.

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

If you have the Dynon D180 or SkyView system, or are planning on using either of these, you can have 2 axis AP for $1500 in servos. This installation worked very well for me in my KR2 and I expect it to be the same in my Panther.
PantherBuilder.org

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

New question about auto-pilots. I'm, at this time considering using steam gauges in my Panther as I have a full panel from a donor C-150 sitting on the shelf. What auto-pilot set-up might I consider? I'm looking for heading and altitude hold should I find myself on a long, VFR cross-country flight. Thanks.

jsteere #39
First Name: John
Last Name: Steere
City or Town: Martinsville
State or Province: Indiana

Post by jsteere #39 »

I will be using the GRT EFIS and EIS, and am also making provision for their Auto Pilot. The GRT servos are identical to the small Dynon and TruTrak servos, and both servos will be mounted under the seat. The seat pan will be modified to allow relatively easy access for installation and service. The servo mounting design is underway.

John Steere
Panther #039

Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Post by Lowrider »

Has anyone considered the new Tru Trac ECO AP? I'm on the short list to get one for my LSA high wing but would like feedback on how the new install methods might work on the Panther...simpler I believe.

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

I will be installing mine soon and will have full documentation on my web site. I will also make a post here to that affect. I was running it in my KR2, which is about the same weight as the Panther, and, it worked perfectly.
PantherBuilder.org

garryd
First Name: Garry
Last Name: Dent
City or Town: Ithaca
State or Province: NY

Post by garryd »

Regarding the AP, I changed out the servos to the larger 42's because for the pitch servo in particular, I was getting a lot of slippage and the AP did not do a good job. Right now I have torque to the pitch servo set at 85% which is more than the 32 can put out. The AP performs well in smooth air. In turbulence the heading may wander +/- 4 or 5 degrees, and the altitude may wander 50'. In smooth air heading is within a degree or two and altitude generally within 20'. Overall I'm satisfied with the Dynon. I have never flown a Tru Trak so can't compare performance, but from what I hear the TT may do better in turbulence than the Dynon. I think Dynon still has some tweaking of their software left to do, but again the system is working pretty well for me.

MikeS.
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City or Town: Tuscaloosa
State or Province: AL

Post by MikeS. »

I'll second the installation of a Dynon Skyview with 2 axis auto pilot for long XC's. A drawing for servo mounting will be most welcome.

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

I am sure that there are going to be several people with autopilot's. There is a plan for mounting the servo's, which we are going to try in my airplane. And while mine will have a GRT, I have been told that the mounting pattern for the servo's are the same for the Dynon.

But, I probably will not have it hooked up for the initial flights.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

PlaneDan

Auto Pilot

Post by PlaneDan »

My KR has a Dynon Skyview with 2 axis auto pilot. I plan on moving as much from the KR to the Panther as possible. Anybody out there using Dynon in your Panther and in particular, anyone installing an Auto Pilot. I know, Dan, that is probably blaspheming the Sportyness of the Panther, but I do also plan to do a good bit of cross country in it.
PantherBuilder.org