Wiring

Avionics and Electronics Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Wiring

Post by psalter »

There is one other place where you have to watch the wiring at the rear tooling hole, and that is by the aileron counterbalance weight on the far outboard end of the spar.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

I asked about wiring for lights, not because I plan to fly at night, but I did not have them on my KR and regretted not installing them. I was out a bit late on one flight due to poor planning. It was not night, but not legal day either. Also flying just before dark can be really nice. I flew with a friend once on a night flight and will NEVER do that again on purpose.

Thanks to Dan for the answer I was looking for. I would like to know why the objection for some kind of conduit, like a very light plastic tube thru the snap bushings. I always like to know the WHY of just about everything.

SN020 building flaps and ailerons.
PantherBuilder.org

av8shar
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Shorter
City or Town: New Bern
State or Province: NC

Post by av8shar »

Dan, thank you that was the info I needed. I’ll look for some sort of ½” or smaller solution and plan on using the aft tooling holes.

To the larger group “philosophical question” of position lights on a day VFR aircraft… in my opinion… circumstances may vary. While I do not intend to purposely fly at night, I do expect to occasionally be airborne after sunset until EENT. If the newer LED position/strobe systems weren’t so light, compact, and draw so little current I may give up on that extra amount of time to fly at the end of the workday. However, for me, the juice seems like it will be worth the squeeze by adding one of these simple systems.

Andy

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Great opportunity for some discussion on lighting. In all the years I've been flying, I've seen only one benefit of flying at night. Much easier to see 23mm tracers. Don't think that will be an issue with the Panther.

I'm reminded of the story about the guy that went out to buy a rowboat and came home with the Queen Mary, the victim of a good salesman. "For just $5 more, you can add this."

Nav lights alone gain you the time between sunset and end of evening twilight. Fly after that and you'll most likely want landing/taxi lights. Ditto flying early morning.

Here's a link to some inexpensive lights: http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Produ ... _Flyer.pdf

If you drive around with your headlights on during the day, then do like Dan suggested and stick a strobe on the airplane.

No runway lights at the home field, so I've never had lights on any of the airplanes I've built. Besides, sunset is when the deer start grazing on the runway.

Tony

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

To answer a few questions, first
We do not recommend any lighting on the Panther. The only exception may be a small high intensity LED strobe for added visibility. The Panther is designed as a Day VFR sport plane. Especially when flying experimental engines like the Corvair, Jabb,UL etc night flying should be avoided. The added weight and complexity of lights are against the core design.
a 13/16 hole is MUCH bigger than could possibly be needed (unless you are planning a tube a conduit which is highly discouraged) drilling the rear tooling hole to a max of 1/2 inch and installing a snap bushing (1/2 OD x3/8 ID ) is more than sufficient for space and protection. You will need to use caution at the aileron pushrod tube to eliminate interference.
Dan W
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

psalter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Dan and I discussed using the rear tooling hole for wiring.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

av8shar
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Shorter
City or Town: New Bern
State or Province: NC

Post by av8shar »

Dan W. or Paul; question.

You are very specific in the BM about the location of the holes in the left wing ribs used to run the pitot tube line (5 7/8" and 1 1/4" from the forward tooling hole).

Do you have a recommendation for the placement of wing rib holes to run the corrugated tube in each wing to the wing tips? The tubing I have has a 13/16" OD.

Thank you,
Andy

psalter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Dan,

There is not enough information to answer your question.

I uploaded the electrical section from the FAA AC43.13-1B (This reference is mentioned in the builders manual) which answers all of your questions about gauge size. First, on Page 11-15 the maximum breaker size that you can use for 18 gauge is 10 amps. However, that is not the entire answer, there is voltage drop, dependent on the length of the wire. Page 11-31 has a chart to help with that, go to the 14 volt column on the left, go down to maximum length, I selected 15 ft which should be close, and move to the right until you get to the 18 gauge column. You will see a heavy black diagonal line, and that shows 4 amps is the maximum load on a 18 gauge wire that is 15 feet long.

So, you can see that you have to know the wire length, and the maximum amperage of the device to pick the proper gauge.

The AC43.13-1B is one of the best references for hardware, electrical, sheet metal and fabric practices.

I don't know what the best lights are.

Snap bushings are the bare minimum required, but if the wires are tight in the bundle, it could be difficult to pull a new wire back through to fix a damaged wire. Another option is a corrigated black plastic conduit, there is a version of this at Auto parts places and Lowes/home depot that is split down it's length.

I am not going to bother with lights, as I am building a Day VFR aircraft.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Wiring

Post by PlaneDan »

What are you using for wire conduit and lighting wiring? I am thinking #18 3 wire shielded and snap bushings. Placing an order today and want to see what other options I should consider.

Also, suggestions for wing tip lighting will be very useful as well.
PantherBuilder.org