Getting Started

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Getting Started

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Ken White on 2/24/2014
If you haven't yet already made these, they are a life saver. I have 4 in my shop now.. Used to build the RV and the Panther will have a nice bench to sit on.. You can't have too many tables :)

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/work ... structions

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Dan Heath on 2/9/2014
Good to know. Glad you are building now. I should be right behind you as my shop should be ready by the end of the day. Will you be using the Corvair on your Panther?​

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Rachel Weseman on 9/16/2014
Dimpling is like anything else - not difficult if you have the right tools for the job and enough scrap pieces to get the hang of it before you go to town on real parts. We used a C-Frame manual dimpler on the skins and the trick to that is to get the skin to lay flat and get the pressure correct. If you can build the c-frame into a recess in your bench so it sits flush with the surface this will really help. I ended up clamping the cframe to the edge with some 2x4's and it worked OK. A scrap piece of carpet is a good idea too for keeping the metal chips from scratching the skins while you slide them around on the table. The pressure is important because if you don't give it enough of a whack the dimple isn't deep enough, too much and you deform/squish the metal. The 120 degree dimple die is also highly recommended as it will make your rivets sit less proud than the 100 degree. These can be found at Avery Tools.1/8 120 degree dimple die

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Getting Started

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Phil Maxson on 9/15/2013
​I set up the garage for building again last night. Moved in my work benches, tools, etc and started building the first elevator. It's good to get back to building again.

My last plane didn't use dimpled rivets so that's a skill I want to learn. I'll have to buy a few new tools as well.