Pitot/ Static Placement

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Pitot/ Static Placement

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Will Mensink on 3/14/2014
That's very timely and relevant info Paul. Thanks! I will plumb the wires so to be ready for installation down the road. As much as I want to keep my Kitty sprightly and simple, I find that the best smooth air is right around sunset /sunrise Could be money well spent to get a few more days of joy of flying. As far as power draw vs. weight vs. tech.vs. $$ this is what I believe to be the sweet spot:

http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/elpage ... eview_tab​

Others are more internet savvy than me so input is appreciated!

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Paul Salter 3/14/2014
As Dan said, I am working on a disconnect for the electrical also. At least a 3 contacts possibly 4 most likely located somewhere around the tooling hole towards the rear spar. Again the exact location is yet to be determined. The 3 pins would be Nav lights, landing light, and ground, with possibly a 4th position for strobes. ​​The strobe line may not be needed with the newer combined nav light/strobes. The ground would probably work through the wing fold pins, but grease, oil and debris can disrupt continuity, so I planned a ground line and ground stud on the wing rib to assure continuity. The disconnect is going to be limited in Amperage​, and would be best for LED lighting. Which isn't all bad, because most of the smaller engines have smaller alternators/generators anyway. And no use drawing more amps than necessary from small batteries.

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Will Mensink 3/13/2014
Thanks to all of you for the great information. Very helpful stuff!

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Dan Weseman 3/12/2014

Will, the above info is correct. We found either the RV rivet static system or simple running static line to the wing fold slide tube works equally well.

the current setup works great with the tub running down wing slide tub with a extra "loop" at end so it can have slack to travel. as paul said its a bit fussy to get correct length at first but has served us well for 300+ wing folds and 100 hrs..

a 3 dollar quick disconnect in fuse would work well also ,but easy to forget. Paul and i schemed up the auto connect, but i handed it off to him. Hes clever and will have it worked out shortly im sure

also if you want to be sure to meet LSA stall speed use the static port on the wing like the protoype.... when it was hooked up the ASI would read 34 mph at stall (thtas why we experimented with other locations)

Dan

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Will Mensink 3/12/2014
Thanks for the replies guys. Getting answers at this place is faster than the drive up window at Mickey Dee's and it's better for my health:-) Y'all confirmed my suspicions about the combo unit in the wing. I will plumb a line for the pitot with enough length for the folded wing or a quick disconnect option and go with the static system in the aft fuselage.

One more question. Just in case I change my mind down the road and add nav/strobes can it all run down the slider tube or should I drill a dedicated small hole w/ snap bushings? And if I did the snapbushings is there a specific place it should be in the rib, structurally speaking? I appreciate all of your input!

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Paul Salter 3/12/2014
The prototype had a dual pitot static tube from aircraft spruce (about $35) mounted in the left wing, however, it was found that the small ports on static tube gave too much error. The static tube is just slid into the sliding tube. It picks up the static pressure inside the wing. The pitot line is mounted on the bottom of the wing and the tube runs through the slider tube, but when setting it up, you have to watch the length of the line. It can kink if not correct, that happened on the prototype. Nice part of it, no disconnects required at least for folding the wings.

We are working on an auto hookup pitot system similar in concept to the fuel sender connection. I hope to have more on the connection in the next couple of months and test on mine. I left my line coiled up in the wing at rib 1, and did not drill rib 1 yet.​ After we put the wing in place on the fuselage we will settle on the location for the disconnect, hopefully, or plans will work out without too much error in the system.

Others are doing a static port in the aft fuselage.

Paul Salter

Team Panther

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by TOny Spicer 4/12/2014
Will,

This , or something similiar, is what Dan has: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... ckkey=7405

That's what I had in my Sonex and could never get the static to work worth a darn. Eventually disconnected the static line and sourced static from inside the wing and it worked much better. Think Dan has done the same.

I'm going with a Van's bent tube pitot and rivets on the tail cone ala RV for a static source. I'm also going with 1/8" nylon tube and quick disconnect fittings from McMaster-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/197/=r2dwmj I have the system made up and ready to install. Will post some Picasa photos.

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Pitot/ Static Placement

Post by rlweseman »

Posted by Will Mensink 3/12/2014
In the Panther photo archives it looks like both Pitot and Static tubes are routed out in the left wing. I also notice that at least one builder appears to have routed a sole pitot tube in the left wing. My build background is from the RV crowd with the static on both sides of the aft tailcone using what else but blind rivets with the mandrel punched out and I am not familar with the combined single location (Photo?)or how it's done.

​Anyone interested in sharing the pros and cons of various placement? Also, giving consideration for the folding wing design is it easy to have a service loop or slack in the tube or should a disconnect be considered?

Bonus points for minimalist design.I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel but just want to learn some basic options given the flexibility of the Panther build.