Pitot/ Static Placement

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Re: Pitot/ Static Placement

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Kevin, thanks for the info. I'm still hoping to hear ideas for a quick disconnect for the wingtip nav/strobe lights. Anyone have a solution?
Fred

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Post by ykachuro »

Interesting. I wonder if there is any certficated airplane that has a static port in the wing? If it works'well, it would be an excellent location even for pressurized airplanes. The only issue is it makes preflighting it for blockage more difficult, but then you can have a big or multiple static tube openings, which would make blockage highly unlijely.
I will have this dillema in a few weeks as I'll be advancing to the left wing. For the moment, I've sourced a lightly used pitot off a piper with a built-in static port. It's compact, sturdy and was a bargain. I also plan to try a an AOA port in the form of a pulled rivet looking about 60 degree down at the wing edge -- there are some successful experementations with this design on RV-12s.

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Fred,

I have one airplane with the static line vented to the cockpit and it works satisfactorily. Only problem, if you want to call it that is that the static instruments, namely airspeed and altimeter will jump slightly with a change in cabin pressure for example when an air vent is adjusted open or closed. My second airplane has the static line running half way out inside of a wing panel and it is"static", no problems, no changes ever. The wing IMHO is true static air, should not be any significant airflow out there.

Kevin

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Re: Pitot/ Static Placement and electrical quick disconnect

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hi,

I am in the process of building my wings. My right wing is nearly completed. In preparation for starting the left wing I have been reading the forum relative to pitot/static location and and electric quick disconnect for wingtip lights.

As far As the static port, the concensus seems to be either the aft fuselage ports or a static tube placed within the wing sliding tube. My question is, if the static tube works satifactorily inside the wing, why not just have the pick up In somewhere in undisturbed air within the fuselage? Since this is not a pressurised aircraft, wouldn't this work as well? I will apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, I am a first time builder. Secondly if the sliding tube method is used, is the pitot tube just slid inside and left there or is it secured in some manner?

I also read in this forum about a quick disconnect for electrical connections in the wings. The most recent post on that subject was in 2014. Has anyone come up with a simple solution for one?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Fred

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Placing mine just behind the baggage bulkhead about 3 rivets down, using the Vans rivet method. One port on each side of the fuselage to a tee going to the ADAHRS which will also be in the baggage compartment. I will post a photo when I get it installed.
PantherBuilder.org

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Rick,

On the prototype we do have the pitot and static lines in the slider tube. However, it takes some work to get the length of the pitot tube line correct, so that it doesn't kink when you slide the wing in.

I have created an automatic disconnect for the pitot tube, unfortunately, I have been on the road a lot this summer and have not had a chance to test it yet. That method will use the setup detailed in the builders manual. If everything goes as planned it will be the preferred setup.

The static line in the wing has nearly 200 hours on it now and still working fine. Many people who have built planes before tend to stick to what they did on their last airplane, thus the fuselage mounting. Having the static tube in the wing is different from the norm, and probably wouldn't work as well in other aircraft. Due to the folding wings and other design considerations, the interior of the Panther wing is a bit more open to the atmosphere than some other aircraft. Mine will be in the wing tube.

Static lines in the fuselage certainly work, and do pretty well. Normally you need 2 on opposite sides of the fuselage in order to minimize the error while slipping the aircraft. Which adds some additional complications.

As for where the slider tube ends with the wings unfolded I have to look at it again. I will let you know later.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

rlweseman wrote:Posted by Paul Salter 3/12/2014
The prototype had a dual pitot static tube from aircraft spruce (about $35) mounted in the left wing, however, it was found that the small ports on static tube gave too much error. The static tube is just slid into the sliding tube. It picks up the static pressure inside the wing. The pitot line is mounted on the bottom of the wing and the tube runs through the slider tube, but when setting it up, you have to watch the length of the line. It can kink if not correct, that happened on the prototype. Nice part of it, no disconnects required at least for folding the wings.

We are working on an auto hookup pitot system similar in concept to the fuel sender connection. I hope to have more on the connection in the next couple of months and test on mine. I left my line coiled up in the wing at rib 1, and did not drill rib 1 yet.​ After we put the wing in place on the fuselage we will settle on the location for the disconnect, hopefully, or plans will work out without too much error in the system.

Others are doing a static port in the aft fuselage.

Paul Salter

Team Panther
Paul

What is your latest recommendation on:

1) Running the pitot tubing - (BM says drill ribs 1-8 with plastic bushings, the above says run it through the slider tube)
2) Static port - running a tube into the slider tube sure sounds easy (and cheap), but sounds like many are adding a port on the fuse side.

Also, between which ribs does the outboard end of the slider tube end up when the wing is installed?

thanks

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

If you are placing them on the fuselage, I would suggest somewhere just to the rear of the welded steel fuselage. The tail cone angles back, and that will help mask the static ports from airflow. Maybe close to the bulkhead rear at the rear of the baggage compartment.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

I will be using the same method for static as is used on the RV and as I used on my last KR2. I put a hole for the rivet in each side of the aft fuselage and slip the tubing over the end of the rivet, inside the fuselage, and squeeze the rivet just enough to set it in place and secure the tube. Then, as the tube is split between the sides, before connecting it to the tee off going to the instrument port, I push the stem out of the rivet.

What I need to know, is, what is the best location for the static on the sides of the fuselage?
PantherBuilder.org