Work Table Size

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Work Table Size

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

Tail cone skins are 8'. When working with a C-frame dimpler I'm guessing a 4' x 5' table would work better than 2' x 10'.

Tony

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony,
That gives me some ideas. I was thinking about building 2 tables, and joining them if need be. I only thought about joining them end to end. I didn't think about joining them side by side.

Thanks,
Glen

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

If I were trying to maximize building space I would build a pair of these:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/work ... rktabl.htm

Figure out a way to be able to clamp them together both end-to-end and side-by-side.

A 2" x 2" screwed to one edge would give a clamping surface.

3/4" MFD is much cheaper than 3/4" plywood. Buy it at Lowes and get it cut to size free on their panel saw. If it starts looking ratty after a few years, just unscrew and flip it over. Drywall screws will work just fine. To increase holding power, put a #10 washer under the head.

Also, consider posing your question on the builders group.

Tony

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Work Table Size

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony,
I'm enjoying watching you rip through your rear fuselage construction. I'm about to start my tail section, and I was wondering what size to build my work table. I was going to build a large work table (4' x 12'), but I'd rather not take up a large area of my garage floor space just for a table. From looking at your construction photos, it doesn't seem like I need to build a large table for most of the construction. I have a few roll around work benches to hold tools, so all I need is a table to build the airplane. In your opinion, what would be the smallest table I could get away with for construction?
Thanks,
Glen