Rick in CO signed up

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Rick in CO signed up

Post by at7000ft »

I instructed basic aerobatics many decades ago then stopped flying for about 36 years. So ten years ago when I finally decided to build an airplane and re-learn how to fly I decided I wanted to find plans for an aerobatic one or two place aircraft that would comply with the upcoming LSA standards EAA was talking about, had the power to fly out of 9,000 ft. and up density altitudes here in CO (KFLY), was affordable (and if it looked cool, like an RV-3 or Midget Mustang that would be icing on the cake). Well unfortunately the Panther do not yet exist so I ended up putting off the aerobatic thing and built a very un-Panther like Pietenpol with a Corvair engine which first flew last October (still plenty of open cockput fun).

I first met Dan at a WW Corvair College near Daytona and later purchased one of his 5th bearings for my Corvair. I was always impressed with his engineering ability, attention to detail, and excellent support from he and Rachel to my stupid questions (and he is a hell of a pilot too). Then fortunately the Panther did come out just in time to be my next aircraft build project, exactly what I was looking for ten years ago (plus folding wings, multiple engine options like the Pietenpol, and yes it looks even better than an RV-3 or Midget Mustang). I couldn't stand going into my garage and seeing only cars to work on so at SNF this month after stealing a bunch of Dan and Rachel's time I ordered a tail kit and plans. Engine will be a Corvair, O-235 or O-320. I did some dual in a 172 and a Decathalon for taildragger time before my first Pietenpol flight and was amazed to find that my Pietenpol/Corvair (2700cc) climbs just about as well with just me at 9-10,000 DA as the 172 and Decathalon did with two of us, so I know a Corvair will be adequate here, but another 20 to 50 HP may make it even more fun.

Glad to be a Panther builder.
Rick Holland
N6819Z