First Timer?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: First Timer?

Post by psalter »

Dave,

To amplify what Tony has stated, only basic skills like using a drill, measuring instruments (tape measure, metal rule, etc.), reading instructions, and some patience when things aren't going so well ;) are the main skills needed. Everything else can be learned as you go along. As with any building project, you preassemble items temporarily, make sure everything lines up, drill any new holes required, take everything apart, clean/prepare everything (debur, dimple, etc.), paint as necessary, then make the final assembly.

EAA chapters in your area can help you out with basic building advice. Forums/workshops at Oshkosh and Sun-n-Fun are great helps also, for this aircraft, stick with topics on building aluminum aircraft. Welding and Fabric work will not be required. Minimal composite work is required, but mostly if you make a mistake and drill/cut something wrong.

Any mistake is correctable, sometimes it requires another part. Everyone is going to have parts that will have to be remade at some point.

Best advice, when in doubt about how something is assembled, ask. This forum will be the place to go as all of the moderators are members of the Panther Team and will have first hand experience on the subject.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: First Timer?

Post by Tony Spicer »

Dave,

All that jabber and I failed to clearly answer your question.

Yes.

Tony

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

First Timer?

Post by Tony Spicer »

Dave,

Decided to move a bit of your post over here. Would have responded sooner, but I got temporarily banned by the list owner.

"As I have never built before I was drawn to the Sonex for its simplicity and large network of builders to draw from. So my concern is whether a first time builder will be able to handle the Panther build. Any advice would be much appreciated."

Every builder, going all the way back to Orville and Wilbur was at some point a first time builder. I was a first-timer when I scratch-built a Sonex. The large network of builders was exactly one. Lots of scrap, but it got finished. It only takes two things to build an airplane. Desire and persistence. With that, everything else will fall into place. I'm guessing that well over half of the Sonex builders are first-timers, and they seem to be doing just fine in the completions department.

Tony