First Timer?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Re: First Timer?

Post by ykachuro »

Ron, i just posted in my log the picture of that joint i just completed (in my signature line). Please take a look. I didn’t roll the edges. Based on my experience so far, I’d say with protruding rivets and no dimpling, no rolling of the edges is needed. And frankly, I think the way it is coming out, it is more pleasing to my eye than if I had dimpled it and used countersunk rivets. Truly, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

What is the best practice when attaching the inboard wing skins over the outboard skins, roll the edge or not?
My wings will be riveted with protruding head rivets so perhaps the edge might not try to curl upward.
Thoughts?

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

I rolled the edges on the wing root fairings for the reason Tony mentioned. Mine was home made be a friend. A scrap piece of aluminum, 2 drawer rollers or screen door rollers, and a couple of screws and nuts.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Ron,

First, for those that may not have a clue what an edge rolling tool is, have a look here:

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1042

When there are overlapping sheet metal joints with a row of rivets along the overlap, the rivets will tend to cause the exposed edge to lift slightly. The edge rolling tool is used to put a very slight break in the top piece so it will seal nicely against the underlying piece. If you plan to break an edge, be sure to do it before dimpling.

Having said all that, the tool is a good one to borrow from an RV bud. If you like to collect neat tools, it's only 20 bucks!

Tony

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Another Noob question....Edge Rolling

Post by RonFranck »

Again, without benefit of having reviewed the building instructions, will edge rolling be employed in the construction of the Panther? I'm assembling the necessary tools needed during construction and I would like to know if an edge rolling tool is one of those I need to acquire?
Thanks, Ron

Rpellicciotti
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Pellicciotti
State or Province:

Post by Rpellicciotti »

EAA has a whole collection of sheet metal working videos in their "Hints for Homebuilders" section:

http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch ... sheetmetal

I_FLY_LOW
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Gill
State or Province:

Post by I_FLY_LOW »

Thank you both!
I'm looking into the DVD's, as well as some workshops, now.

Thanks for the explanations of dimpling and countersinking.
That made perfect sense, to me.

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Philip,

Dimpling is a process that is only used for flush rivets (pulled or solid rivets) in thin sheet metal. If you are using protruding head rivets, no dimpling is necessary. Quite frankly, flush rivets on this airplane is mainly for looks on the the external skins. Protruding head rivets, will not be much more drag, and probably no or little speed decrease over flush rivets. If you have thick material, then you can start to use countersinking instead of dimpling. There are some places that flush rivets are necessary, like in the wing spar and for attaching anchor nuts. The process of dimpling is pretty simple most times, you purchase a set of dies and insert them in a rivet squeezer and squeeze. You do this on both pieces to be assembled. While it is pretty easy, it does add more time. In hard to get to areas there are other techniques using a nail, modified dimple dies and a rivet puller.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Build Videos

Post by csjohnson65 »

Hi Philip - Take a look at http://fly-gbi.com/www.fly-gbi.com/Main.html and http://www.homebuildervideos.com/index.htm. They both have DVDs about sheet metal tools and building. You might also want to attend a SportAir workshop or two. See http://sportair.com/.

I'm sure others can chime in with additional resources.

Chris

I_FLY_LOW
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Gill
State or Province:

Post by I_FLY_LOW »

I was pointed to the Panther, very recently by suggestion from a fellow on ADVRider.com, after I've gotten my head around the idea of the Sonex.
I gotta say, the Panther is one beautiful aircraft, and me being a taller guy, and reading the specs, and flight test writeup/video, I'm hooked on this one.
I'm a PPSEL, with a tail dragger endorsement, who once owned a PA-22-20-150, Pacer, and sort of got spoiled on it's performance and handling.
I don't need a 4 place aircraft, as it's just lil ole' me, that will be doing the flying.
Again, with the speed #'s, and engine selections available for the Panther, it's looking better and better, all the time.
I would, however like to se more airframes done and in the air, as I get nearer to being able to commit to buying.
In due time, I understand.

Yea... I'm that new to this whole metalworking gig...
Once I grasp the concept of what all needs to be done, I'm good to go, then all I have to do is work out the finesse or habit of the process of getting it done.

Is there some sort of really basic starter's guide/video for sheet metal work?
Something that explains what all needs to be done, for most, if not all various situations commonly used throuout the build?
I'm considering building either the Panther, or Onex, but the thoughts of metalwork, though I thoroughly enjoy working/building things, does draw some concern.

I get the jist of what you mean, like drilling holes, or up drilling prepunched holes, etc, but next comes, deburring, which I also get the gist, then to dimple the metel, which I don't quite get.
Is the dimpling for a flush rivet, or something done for any/all rivets driven, regardless, if pop, or solid, button head or flush?
To dimple, or not to dimple.. that is the question! :D

Please, bear with me, more noob questions to come.

Now I just gotta figure out how I'm going to scrape up the cash to get started.

Thanks,
Philip