Panther specifications

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
JimParker256
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Parker
City or Town: Farmersville
State or Province: TX

Re: Panther specifications

Post by JimParker256 »

GlenNJ wrote:Since the folded wing Panther is 6'7" tall, I have room to spare.

Thanks Rachel,
Glen
Glen,
Just be careful as you exit the garage if you have a "down slope" in front of your garage opening. Not as big a deal with a tail-dragger, but a friend with a tricycle gear (RV6A) damaged both his tail and the garage door when he rolled it out the first time. He forgot to allow for the "pivot" about the main gear as the nose wheel came down the "ramp"... Ouch!

Jim Parker
Jim Parker
Rans S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Panther / Cougar - someday?

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

We can probably dig out the test cards and post something. The basic numbers are
DA 8000 ft 75% TAS is about 165mph (148-152indicated) fuel burn is 6gal per hr without aggressive leaning.One reason for vague #s with corsair is lack of real Hp charts. We should have much better data to post after dyno test the current engine and the new stroker engine.
Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

chipjumper
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Smith
City or Town: Detroit
State or Province: MI

Post by chipjumper »

I noticed on the new brochure that top speed is listed as "160-200". What are the actual top cruise speeds experienced in N515XP? Does that have the 120HP Corvair? Is it possible to publish the actual real life cruise speeds at 55/65/75% power?

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Excellent! I should have asked this question before. Last week I was looking at a picture of the folded wing Panther and I realized it's pretty tall. I was afraid it wouldn't fit in my 7' tall garage door (it's actually 6'10"). Since the folded wing Panther is 6'7" tall, I have room to spare.

Thanks Rachel,
Glen

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

The Panther's tallest point is 79" with the wings folded and resting on the Horizontal stabs (on foam pads).

Rachel

GlenNJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Dan or Rachel,

I measured my garage door and found out it's not quite 7' tall. Can you tell me how high the tops of the Panther wings are, while they are folded and resting on the horizontal stabilizer? Can you also tell me how long the folded wing Panther is?

Thanks,
Glen

GlenNJ

Panther specifications

Post by GlenNJ »

Dan and Rachel,

Is there any chance that you could update the Panther brochure's, specifications page? I tell people what I intend to build, and show them the Panther brochure. They start asking questions about the specs., and I have to find the information. I know most of performance specs. have been reported on this forum, but it would be nice to just go to the brochure to look things up. Of course things will change with different engines, but specs with the Corvair engine would be a nice starting point. The following information would be nice:
-Length
-Take off distance
-Landing distance
-Rate of climb
-Engine out glide ratio and sink rate
-Stall speeds (flaps up and down)
-Cruise speed (sea level and 8,000')
-Range
-Actual empty weight
-Max. baggage weight
-Estimated build time
Thanks,