James Neely Canuk from the deep south

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
DinoS
First Name: Dino
Last Name: Santarossa
City or Town: Belle River
State or Province: Ontario

Re: James Neely Canuk from the deep south

Post by DinoS »

Hello Niel, was your sonex at YQG, I thought there was one there. My name is Dino from Belle River. I have taken some time off flying and am again recurrent. The time I spent flying sailplanes did not count for my licence and my 5 year absence from power elapsed, what a pain in the rear. I don't think Transport Canada knows what it takes to accomplish sustained flight in a glider.
What have you decided to build. If you decide to build a panther I would be very interested in assisting in the build. I am not in the position to build at this time but have been lurking for some time now.

Dino Santarossa

mccool
First Name: James
Last Name: Neely
City or Town: Essex

Post by mccool »

The Thatcher plans ain't up to Sonex or Panther standards, but they seem adequate. Plus there is good manual and a LOT of info from other builders....sorta like here ;)

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

Welcome James. About the Thatcher, we have a fellow chapter member who is building a Thatcher and is quite unhappy with the plans. I would be happy to introduce him to you so that you can exchange ideas about the Thatcher.
Ron

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Nice to have you James!

mccool
First Name: James
Last Name: Neely
City or Town: Essex

James Neely Canuk from the deep south

Post by mccool »

Hello all from the deep south of Canada. Where I live is about as far south as you can get before dealing with US customs, about the same latitude as Chicago, just south of Detroit.
Enough of the geography; I've built 4 aircraft so far, American Eaglet, Lazair copy, Zodiac 601, and a Sonex. I also stripped a Mirage ultralight down to it's last nut before rebuilding it and hanging my butt on it.
I sold my Sonex/3300 last fall and had intended to get out of aviation all together, but there's this damned itch that won't go away, so here I am looking seriously at the Panther.
I'm also considering the Thatcher, even have a set of plans, but the Panther, while about twice the price is one gorgeous bird and it can use a Lycosaur or a Continentadon.

My first build left me gun shy about any project that didn't have at least a dozen in the air but the fact that Tony is involved, and knowing a little bit of the Weseman history, makes this a very attractive leap of faith. The decision will be more about final cost, vs available funds, but we'll see how it goes.