Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Re: New member

Post by danweseman »

Glen , the 2180 VW is only about 40 lbs. lighter than a 3.0 L corvair. It is also a few inch's wider. It can certainly work for the panther and give acceptable performance. As Rachel stated we will try to offer engines that the customers want. At this moment for the Panther LS it seems the corvair, 0-200 , and 0-235 , all have about equal interest.
We will have some news on pricing etc as soon as we are finished with phase 1 flight testing. I have 3 more test to fly then wrap up the 40 hrs (we are at 32.5 now).
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

A VW would require the engine be moved forward about 5-6", which would require the cowl be extended by that much.

As to fuel burn, two Panthers side-by-side going the same speed, one with a Corvair and the other with a VW, would be burning about the same amount of fuel.

Tony

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Hi Glen -
Thanks for sticking with us! As I am sure you know there are growing pains with new things and through trial and error this looks like a keeper.
There hasn't been too much interest to date for a VW engine on the LSA, but it certainly can be done.
Our firewall forward development will be customer driven. Thanks for the kuddos in the looks department, we are very happy...and flight testing is proving she flies as good as she looks!

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

I think this is my third Panther Forum and I hope this one stays. I was going to build a Onex, but my Onex tail kit is still in its boxes as I watch the Panther developement. The Panther seems to be performing well with its intended Corvair engine. The Corvair seems to be a fine engine, but it's not what I want. I would rather have a VW engine, with its 2 less cylinder simplicity, and a lower fuel burn. I don't know if there will be enough interest in the VW engine to warrent the necessary changes to make it work in the Panther (whens the last time you saw a pilot ask for less power). I think a VW setup would be 50 to 60 pounds lighter than a Corvair. This will probably mean the VW has to be mounted farther forward. There hasn't been any mention of the Panther price. I'm hoping it won't be more than the Onex. The Panther blows away the Onex in the looks department. It would be interesting to see how the two would compare performance-wise with the same VW engines.
Glen