Taxi position of Canopy

Topics about finishing touches
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: Taxi position of Canopy

Post by PlaneDan »

Thanks for all the replies. I did open the front a little and the back a bit more than that. It seems to work much better. I will add a little grease the next time and see if that helps even more.
PantherBuilder.org

rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Post by rv10builder »

Taper/bevel the pin as Tom indicated. My RV10 had the same challenge and that’s to be expected of a flexible canopy/door. When latching I actually grab the rear rod and pull inward to help guide it.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

Today I put a bit of a bevel on the forward surface of the rear top hole and added a small amount of grease in the hole. That further improved latching in that position. You might give that a try ...
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

I haven't had too much of a problem with that, only a bit. What I do is hold the canopy just above the forward upper hole then put some pressure on the locking handle and slowly pull the canopy down until the front and rear pins engage. That usually works but sometimes I have to fiddle a bit to align the rear pin but hasn't been much of a problem. btw, my top holes are large enough so the pins don't fit real tightly so, if yours are snug, maybe opening up the holes like you suggest might help.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

Well, so far, no one has any thought on this. So, my thought is that I will use a step drill bit to open up the taxi position hole aft, and, see if that works. If not, then I will do the same to the Fore. There must be a better way?
PantherBuilder.org

PlaneDan

Taxi position of Canopy

Post by PlaneDan »

Now that I am taxiing to get the feel of the plane, prior to that first flight, I am trying to use the taxi position to keep cool. I have a difficult time locating the right position for both pins, to be able to latch it in that position. I can get it, but it isn't easy. I have some thoughts for making a modification to make this easier, but want to get some input from those who may have already resolved this, thus, keeping me from doing something stupid.

Thanks in advance.

Dan H.

http://pantherbuilder.org/
PantherBuilder.org