Flap Deflection

Topics about finishing touches
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: Flap Deflection

Post by PlaneDan »

I used another digital level and got more reasonable results this time.
1 - 8.3
2 - 21.7
3 - 36.3

A little concerned about those numbers, but have spent all my previous conventional gear time in KR2, which had NO flaps.

On the insurance. That company could not find anyone to insure for the first 15 to 20 hours. So I have asked to see if I can get Liability only, for those hours. Insurance is required at my airport.

Getting close to that first flight.

N320BC, Panther Builder.org.
PantherBuilder.org

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

I am now convinced that there was something wrong with my level, or possibly the setting that I had it on. I tried to re-check it today and the level would not cooperate. I will try again on Friday and expect that mine will come out close to what Dan documented below.

Thanks

Getting very close to that first flight.

Any suggestions on what company likes to insure first flights of the Panther?

Dan Heath
N320BC
PantherBuilder.org

danweseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

All
If you have a 4 position plate , which you should, it "should" give 0, 10 ,25 and 40. +/- 5 degrees is fine.
My prototype actually only has 3 positions 0, about 12 , and 30.All will work fine .I have flow 3 different Panthers that were modified with 50 ish degrees of flaps, and it made only a few % difference in L/D or decent angle. In the planes with modified 50 degrees the flap handle is pretty high up in the arm pit area.

Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Post by rv10builder »

I wouldn’t overthink this. FWIW I too did my transition training in an RV6 and with the Sport wing never need more than two notches of flaps.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

Dan,

Thanks for the input. I must have not used the correct procedure for taking the measurement.

With the plane in level I put a digital level on the top of the flap and set the reading to zero. I then went notch by notch, recording each degree. I thought they might not be correct, thus the reason for asking.
PantherBuilder.org

danweseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Dan
Your numbers make no sense. A un modifed system should be "around" 20 and 40 degrees.
I flew my Panther last week and for fun did a no flap landing. I was able to land and stop 1800 ft from 50 ft high trees, so about 100 ft from end of runway. My next one I did a full flap landing and stopped 1200 ft from the 50 ft high trees.
It all about speed control. If you fly your approach at 80-85 mph you will float forever. If you fly it a 70 MPH and full flaps it has a 600 FPM plus sink rate.
Dan W
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

PlaneDan

Flap Deflection

Post by PlaneDan »

I had not given this much thought, since, my 2 previous planes (KR2) did not have flaps. But, I just spent 3 days in Florida, taking "transition training" in an RV6, from the right seat. Flap settings were typically 20 for landing, sometimes 40 ( full ).

So, I thought I should check the deflection on my Panther and found these numbers:

14 degrees
39 degrees
73 degrees.

I have also heard that some Panther flyers think that it does not have enough flap.

Are my numbers consistent with others, and if so, is 73 degrees not enough?
Not that I would do anything to try to change what I have, but just to know what to expect.

Thanks
PantherBuilder.org