Tools

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
blueisthenewblack
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leverett
City or Town: Ann Arbor
State or Province: MI

Re: Tools

Post by blueisthenewblack »

Here is a Google spreadsheet to a list that Mike at Cleaveland Tools put together for me:
https://goo.gl/enKhwx

Mike created this by working with a Panther builder who already had access to the build manual. It's intended to be a "what is needed when" guide that matches with the different sub-kits.

I started with this and modified for my needs. I got only the tools for the tail kit and will purchase others as I go along. I added a #30 reamer as this is needed for the proper use of the NQ dimple die if you're going with flush rivets. I got the fluting pliers and seamer although I haven't had a need for them yet. I'm going with pop-rivets instead of solid rivets, so I eliminated the solid rivet options. I have a hand pop-rivet puller which works fine - I've actually spent much, much more time preparing the parts than I have riveting :) - and didn't bother with the pneumatic pop rivet puller for now. Same with the torque wrench, I didn't bother with getting it for now. I bought a pneumatic squeezer and yokes second-hand, so I didn't get the main squeeze. I also already bought an air drill second-hand.

JimParker256
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Parker
City or Town: Farmersville
State or Province: TX

Post by JimParker256 »

Just went through this exercise for my Bearhawk Patrol build. Discovered some pretty cool deals along the way.

Pan American Tools - they make a great compact lightweight air drill, and have some of the best prices for reamers and micro-stop countersinks.

The Yard - best prices I found for rivet guns and cobalt drill bits (toughest, longest lasting drills for metal working). Special sale on nutplate jigs that I wish I had seen before I bought mine for a higher price. (Just make sure you order the right size for the nutplates you will use! Don't ask how I learned...)

Tool Town - a set (left & right) of aviation metal snips that are very nice, for a decent price

Avery Tool - rivet squeezer, the indispensable Clecall cleko pliers, and a few other odds and ends. (Hurry - they are closing up on Dec 15th, after which time you can find most of their "unique" items at Cleaveland Tool - which is also a great place to find some RV-type specific items that might work well for the Panther. Things like static ports...)

I only recently learned that McFarlane has some of the best prices on pulleys. It was too late for me, but maybe you can benefit from this...

Most of my other tools and supplies have been purchased at either Aircraft Spruce or Wicks Aircraft Supply or Cleaveland Tool. I usually check all three places, and order from the one that is cheaper. Varies by item. Sometimes I'll pay the higher price to avoid multiple shipping fees...
Jim Parker
Rans S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Panther / Cougar - someday?

Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Post by Jinkers »

Thanks Tony! that's what I was looking for.

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Scott,

For all around use, the maroon work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-M ... B0002SQYF0

For deburring #30 holes without using the blue twirly thing, try a fine Roloc pad on a die grinder.

Tony

Jinkers

Post by Jinkers »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the links. I have a bench grinder with a scotch brite deburring wheel as well as some of the other tools shown in the videos. In the last link they show using scotch brite pads for deburring holes in surfaces like wing skins and scuffing before painting, that is what I am looking for. When I search 'scotch brite deburring pads' dozens of different SB pads show up, most of them for kitchen use. What type do you use? Or do use something else for this purpose?

Thanks!

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Jinkers

Post by Jinkers »

A quick question on Scotch Brite pads for deburring. There seems to be dozens of different types of scotch brite products for deburring just about anything. What have you all found works best?

Thanks!

John Schmitz
First Name: John
Last Name: Schmitz
City or Town: Lubbock
State or Province: Texas

Post by John Schmitz »

Hi Guys,
Now you have some info on what you need. You need to check with builders in your area that have completed there Aircraft on what you can barrow or buy used.

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Dave_091 wrote:Hi guys,

I have been searching all over the site for a tools list so I can get a head start buying the tools I will need for the tail kit. Is there a tools list somewhere?
Yep, there's a list. When you get a builder number you'll have access to all the documentation. At the beginning of each section in the Builder's Manual is a list of the tools required to complete that particular operation. It is by no means a complete list. It may say you need #30/#40 drills. It will not list the tool required to spin those drills. Ditto dimple dies. Good recommendations by all the other posters. Read and ask questions before you start spending.

Tony

Dave_091
First Name: David
Last Name: Schulz
City or Town: Courtenay
State or Province: British Columbia

Post by Dave_091 »

Thats perfect,

Thank you for your replies!