Panthers to Oshkosh

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Panthers to Oshkosh

Post by Tony Spicer »

woolleys wrote:
For Tony Petz. I don't believe any of the corvair powered Panthers have had a chance to stretch out on a long cross country yet. Of the three corvair power examples, I believe one is still in phase one testing ( Bret Mayo). Dan mostly trailers his to show events and Paul is ready for his airworthy inspection. Bret will be the most likely candidate for cross country data on the corvair powered machines. Based on my test flying of Dan's Panther, I project they will show numbers right in the top range for LSA cruise numbers. It will be interesting to see the numbers when more of the Corvair power Panthers start coming on line
Careful there, Bob! No such animal as LSA cruise numbers :D

The rule: "Speed at max continuous power (Vh) on a standard day at sea level cannot exceed 120 knots."

Tony

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

For Tony Petz. I don't believe any of the corvair powered Panthers have had a chance to stretch out on a long cross country yet. Of the three corvair power examples, I believe one is still in phase one testing ( Bret Mayo). Dan mostly trailers his to show events and Paul is ready for his airworthy inspection. Bret will be the most likely candidate for cross country data on the corvair powered machines. Based on my test flying of Dan's Panther, I project they will show numbers right in the top range for LSA cruise numbers. It will be interesting to see the numbers when more of the Corvair power Panthers start coming on line.

MAKpilot
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Kirby
City or Town: Winston Salem
State or Province: NC

Post by MAKpilot »

Was at OSH myself and saw your airplane but didn't get a chance to circle back and stop for a chat--thanks for posting these impressive numbers for all to see, your airplane was great looking too!

This is a very impressive airplane on many counts, after speaking with Rachel & Dan and seeing the aircraft in person I'm glad to say I'm also going to be a Panther builder/owner soon--just bought my tail kit yesterday!

Nux
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Petz
City or Town: White Lake
State or Province: MI

Post by Nux »

Those are some great numbers. Any idea what the numbers were like for the Corvair powered Panthers?

I attended Oshkosh Friday and Saturday. I am thankful to Dan and Paul for their time, and to Paul for letting me sit in his Panther. I hope to be a Panther builder soon.

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Panthers to Oshkosh

Post by woolleys »

I just returned from Oshkosh and since there has been limited information about Panthers going cross country I thought I would pass on my impressions.

Steve Pedano and I departed Haller Airpark early on the 26 of July with three fuel stop planned and an expected 6.5 flight time to OSH. The trip was planned for 8500 feet cruising altitude. Weather was expected to be good with building rains showers over the Blue Ridge mountains in southern Tennessee. The 0320 powered Panthers climbed to 8500 at 140 MPH averaging about 750 FPM climb rate. Power was set at 2450 RPM's with a IAS of 151 and a TAS of 180. Ground speed was holding around 190 and fuel burn just over 7 GPH. Updating our weather and fuel for our first fuel stopped indicated that our 350NM leg would allow us to update our leg length and stretch the leg 450 NM's. Using XM weather and ADSB we decided to extend our leg to 450 NM's as good VFR was present in northern Tennessee. We touchdown at our destination with 6 gallons of fuel after 3 hours and 7 minutes of flight time. The next leg was a 250 NM leg short of OSH to refuel for a 100 NM dash to OSH and have plenty of fuel for arrival. Arrival was easy with arrival at RIPON with two airplanes in front and a no sweat landing on 36R. Total enroute time was right at 6.5 hours.

Weather at OSH for the remainder of the week was cool, overcast and periodic rain. We were parked behind the SPA and Corvair booths and spent the entire week showing and talking about our Panthers. Interest was high with many conversations with potential Panther builders and current ones.

Weather cleared for our departure on Saturday but the weather 200 NM south was IFR all the way to Atlanta. We departed at 9:45 AM and followed the clearing weather south with 3 short legs of about 200 NMs. Weather was clearing and altitudes varied between 2500 to 9500 feet. Our last refueling stop was Chattanooga TN. and left us with a 350 NM leg into Haller. Thunderstorms and a TFR around Atlanta caused some deviations and altitudes up to 12,500 feet. A last leg was about 2.7 hours of flight time and arrived at Haller at 6:30 PM EST.

Steve's and my Panthers performed perfectly and has excellent cross country manners. It is comfortable, well mannered and longer legs that expected. No wind legs of 350 to 400 NM can be planned with a fuel burn of 7 GPH. TAS of 180 MPH can be expected at 8000 feet. The Panther continues to impress me with it's capability and fine flying qualities. For those builders, you will like the results when you finish your kit.

A word of thanks to Rachel, Dan and Paul Salters at SPA. They hosted us and our treatment was superb. It was a pleasure to be around energetic and die hard experimental people. With the positive attitude of these people it is apparent why SPA continues to be a very successful enterprise.